Welcome to St Cuthberts Ormesby
Always know you will be very welcome and we hope that you find us open and friendly people who can provide you with relevance and meaning in your daily life. There has been a church here for over a 1000 years and we want St Cuthbert’s Church to be here for all future generations.
Building the Church Building the Kingdom
To proclaim Christ in our worship and in our community and make disciples of all generations
A warm St Cuthbert's welcome still awaits you, although no refreshments can be provided at the end of the service, and we can no longer sing hymns during the services.
We continue to work with the Government and Church of England Covid-19 guidance in making the church environment as safe as possible and to protect everyone.
- Face coverings are mandatory in places of worship unless you have a legitimate exemptions for health, or where communication is impeded when wearing a mask, or are a bride and groom and those officiating at a wedding.
- On entering and exiting St Cuthbert's everyone is asked to use the hand sanitiser provided in the entrance porch.
- Please always keep to the Government physical (social) distancing guidelines while inside and outside the church. Remember this is still 2 metres without some additional control measures like a face covering.
To maintain physical distancing at the end of the service please follow the one-way system while maintaining physical (social) distancing.
Latest advice from the National Health Service
Give A Little online offerings
The work of our church in the community, and its future, is reliant on people’s generosity, a generosity that is a hallmark of a lived-out faith and a testament to it. Now more than ever, please consider giving generously to support our mission and ministry.
You can support St Cuthbert's by giving online using your Visa or Mastercard Debit or Credit Card.
Click on the give a little button
Thank you for your support
We are all using contactless methods more often, it is easy to make an offering using the Give a Little link above if you are unable to be at a service in church or wish to support your local church.
- Donate using your credit or debit card via the the Give a Little link above. If your donation is below £30 we can claim extra money under the Small Gifts Scheme. You can choose to receive a receipt by email.
Non-Gift Aided offerings - please note that only donations below £30 can be used to claim extra money from HMRC under the Small Gift Scheme (GASDS).
Due to coronavirus restrictions this year’s Dementia Friendly Carol Service will be a virtual event. It will take place at 3pm on Sunday 13th December in St Mary’s Cathedral, Coulby Newham.
You can watch the service online via the Diocesan Youtube channel. This event is designed for those living with dementia and their carers. We hope you can enjoy this virtual service as much as you normally do the physical event.
During lockdown 2 the Church of England is asking Christians to pray daily for a specific area of national concern. A bell will ring each evening at 6pm, join us in a collective moment of prayer.
Prayer for Week 4 (30 November to 06 December)
your Son Jesus Christ came that we might have life and have it abundantly;
pour out your blessing upon our nation;
where there is illness,
bring your healing touch;
where there is fear,
strengthen us with the knowledge of your presence;
where there is uncertainty,
build us up in faith;
where there is dishonesty,
lead us into truth;
where there is discord,
may we know the harmony of your love;
this we ask in Jesus’ name.
We know that we are in the faithful hands of the risen Christ who knows our weaknesses, tiredness and struggles and whose steadfast love endures forever.
During the second national lockdown when the church is closed for services and only open for private prayer we will be providing weekly bulletins as we did during the firsst lockdown period.
Sunday November 29th, Advent Sunday (PDF)
Sunday November 22nd, Sunday Next before Advent, Christ the King (PDF)
Sunday November 15th, 2nd Sunday before Advent (PDF)
Sunday November 8th, 3rd Sunday before Advent, Remembrance Sunday (PDF)
The previous bulletins can be found here.
With the start of British Summer Time, starting Tuesday 6th April 2021, we will hold our open Marriage and Baptism Booking Sessions on Tuesday evenings. No need to book, just come along to St Cuthberts on Tuesday evenings between 6pm and 7pm.
- Baptisms. From 21st June 2021 if all goes to plan then there will be no limit on the number attending, other than the capacity of the church. If physical distancing is still a requirement after 21st June then this will place a limit on the capacity of the church. You may need to maintain hygienic precautions, including wearing face masks, and Social distancing between people who do not live together or share a support bubble.
- Weddings. Government guidelines state that they are currently limited to a maximum of 6 people. This will change to a maximum of 15 from 12th April 2021 and to a maximum of 30 from 17th May 2021. From 21st June 2021 if all goes to plan then there will be no limit placed on guests, other than the capacity of the church. If physical distancing is still a requirement after 21st June 2021 then this will place a limit on the capacity of the church. You may need to maintain hygienic precautions, including wearing face masks, and Social distancing between people who do not live together or share a support bubble.
- Funerals. Until the 17th June 2021 funerals are limited to a maximum of 30 people who must maintain hygienic precautions, including wearing face masks, and Social distancing should be maintained between people who do not live together or share a support bubble. After the 17th June the maximum number is changing but will still be limited to a maximum that can be accomodated while maintaining social distancing. New guidance is expected from the C of E.
- Burials or scattering of ashes can continue with up to 6 people in attendance. Social distancing should be maintained between people who do not live together or share a support bubble.
If you cannot make a Tuesday Open Session then please use the online enquiry forms found on the Life Events pages or contact us by email or phone 07715298711. Please note that we will still need to meet you in person at one of the Tuesday Open Sessions.