Your Wedding at St Cuthbert’s Church Ormesby

St Cuthbert Parish Boundaries – shaded area

Clicking on the image above, of the parish boundaries, will open the ‘A Church Near You’ website in a new window where you can enter your Postcode to see if you reside inside the parish boundaries or in which parish you live.

In order to marry in a Church of England parish church, one of you needs to have a qualifying connection and this is a rule that all parish churches follow:

You can marry here if you can show:

That one of you:

  • is currently resident in the parish or
  • was baptised in the parish or
  • was prepared for confirmation in the parish or
  • has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or

That one of your parents, at any time after you were born:

  • has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
  • has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or

That one of your parents or grandparents:

  • was married in the parish


To ensure the marriage complies with both UK Civil and Church law, there are certain aspects of a church wedding that must be fulfilled.

If either of you is a citizen of a country outside Europe, a special procedure will need to be followed. Whether you can marry in the UK is likely to depend on getting permission from the civil registrar. We will advise you of what you must do. 

Marrying of divorces

This may be possible but you both need to have a meeting with the Vicar before you can book a wedding.  To arrange this, please contact a Church Warden or email  These are available Tuesday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

You will also both need to attend an open ‘Christenings and Weddings Enquiries’ hour, which currently the winter months

You will also both need to attend an open ‘Christenings and Weddings Enquiries’ hour, which we hold each Sunday morning between 11am and 12noon at St Cuthbert’s Church.

Can I get married at St Cuthbert’s if I or my partner lives abroad?

If you are connected with the parish (as set out in the list above), the answer is probably yes, but you must contact the vicar at the earliest stage of planning, because there may be some special legal steps that have to be taken.

Can I have a Gay wedding at St Cuthbert’s?

St Cuthbert’s is sympathetic and understanding and welcoming of gay people. However, in the Church of England, a Marriage between two people of the same sex is not possible in the church. 

How do I book a wedding?
In the first instance, we need to see you both at church at the 10:00am Sunday morning service, so that we can meet you.

We hold a Christenings and Weddings Enquiries hour at the church each Sunday morning between 11am and 12noon. This is when we discuss bookings and you both would need to bring photo ID and proof of address for both of you in the form of utility bills or similar documents, and there is a £100 deposit to secure the date and time.

Weddings normally take place on a Saturday at either 12noon, 2pm or 4pm. We do not take bookings over the phone or by email. You can however fill in your details into the Wedding Enquiries Form, see link below. The vicar or one of the team will then contact you to discuss your enquiry and firm up a booking so long as you can meet the requirments for marring at this church.

Please also look at the Church of England’s wedding webpage 

Please read the section on qualifying connections, and if you don’t live in the parish but have another qualifying connection, then please bring any additional evidence that we’d require.

How much does it cost?

The cost varies according to which year you wish to get married, because the Church of England sets the fees every year.  You will have to pay the fees set for the year you marry, not those set for the year you book the wedding, unless they are the same.

This year (2024), a wedding will cost £617, this is made up of the marriage fee, the publishing the banns of marriage fee and also includes a Verger fee. There are additional charges for options, for example, if you require the Organist to play at your wedding or would like the Bellringers to ring the bells for your wedding or for us to decorate the church with flowers for your wedding. If you live outside the parish boundaries you will also have to pay £54 to your local parish church for the banns to be read and for the certificate to show that they have been read in your local church. If you are marrying outside your parish then you also need a qualifying connection to the church, you marry in. Details can be found via the link below.

We will not know the fees for future years until the Church of England set them and release them to us, typically in November each year.

Everything is explained in detail at the ‘Christenings and Weddings Enquiries’ hour,  each Sunday morning between 11am and 12noon.

Please remember we are not a wedding venue, we are a place of worship

Please see the Church of England’s wedding webpage

We look forward to welcoming you!

Find a Church near you.

Search for a church near you, or for locally streamed services and events, using a church near you.

Images of previous weddings.

Wedding Photos

When you fall in love